Activities of the Senapati Forest Division, Senapati 2016-2017
- A) Visit to Khonoma- Conservation at its best: It was a visit long due for farmers from about 10 villages of Senapati District of Manipur. A team of 34 persons which included farmers, office bearers of Green Hills Society and Divisional Forest Officer, Senapati visited Khonoma, first green village of Asia, located about 20 km from Kohima, Nagaland. It was an exposure visit sponsored by District Administration, Senapati and Senapati Forest Division, Forest Department, Government of Manipur and coordinated by Green Hills Society, Senapati.
Khonoma, known for its freewill conservation efforts led by the community of three khels of Khonoma village, offered many things in the form of advise and experiences to the visitors in the field of conservation of Forests, wildlife, traditions, cultural values, cleanliness of the village, and more importantly cooperation and coordination among various organizations within the village like Khonoma Nature Conservation a Tragopan Sanctuary (KNCTS) Trust, Khonoma Women Organization, Eco-Tourism Management Committee, Khonoma Students’ Organization and Khonoma Village Youth organization.
- B) Distribution of Solar Lamps: Senapati Forest Division distributed solar lamps to about 47 BPL families of 3 villages under Saranamei. Similarly solar lamps were also distributed to about 50 Villagers of Sorbung. Such initiatives wilt definitely help in lighting of families and villages that are not connected through formal electric grid and reduce deforestation and contribute to environment conservation by reducing carbon emissions and. The program is to promote use of renewable energy resources and reduce the dependence of communities on Forests for fuel wood. The village authorities welcomed and thanked the initiatives of Forest Department. Government of Manipur and requested for more such programs aimed at conservation of forests in particular and environment in general
- C) Program to welcome winged visitors: Wildlife wing of the Forest Department of Manipur in association with People for Animals organized a one day awareness program on Wildlife Conservation with special focus on migratory birds at TobumaiVillage ,Kaibi Village, Makhel Village and Sajaoba Village. Senapati and Tomenglong districts are the two fortunate districts of Manipur through which the winged visitors from various countries pass through. Tobumai Village, Kaibi Village, Makhel Village and Sajaoba Village are few villages that are on the flyway of these migratory birds. These villages are in a strategic location through which these winged visitors travel every year. Financial incentives were provided to the villagers of Tobumai Village, Kaibi Village for their contribution towards conservation of wildlife especially Amur Falcon
- D) Plantation by Biodiversity Management Committee, Makhrapadai: The financial incentives given to Biodiversity management committee of Makhrapadai have been effectively utilized for plantation activities
- E) World forestry day: Senapati Forest Division observed World forestry day on March 21st March, 2017. The program involved discussion among staff, media personnel and civil society organizations regarding future of conservation of forests in the light of Climate Change with special focus on Senapati District.
- F) Guest lectures: In an effort to encourage students to conserve environment a series of guest lecture was organized in various schools and colleges of Senapati District during 2016-2017.
- G) Independence Day Exhibition: As part of Independence Day celebration Senapati Forest Division displayed various activities taken up during 2015-16.
- H) Awareness programmes: Awareness programmes were conducted at Sorbung, Ngatan and Mao aimed at conservation of Environment in general and forests and wildlife in particular.
- I) 61st wildlife week celebration: Senapati Forest Division organized 61st wildlife week celebration from 1st October to 7th October, 2016. On this occasion, as part of District Level celebrations Senapati Forest Division organized district level
- a) On-spot Painting Competition for students reading in Class-V to Class-VII
- b) On-spot Article Writing Competition for students reading in Class-IX to Class-XII
- c) Financial incentives were provided to villages voluntarily contributing to conservation of Forests and wildlife. One of the villages is Phuba
- K) Republic day plantation ceremony: As part of Republic day celebration plantation ceremony was organized in Mini-stadium, Senapati. Then Deputy Commissioner, W Arthur, IAS, then Superintendent of Police K Kabib, IPS and ADC members participated in the ceremony.
- L) Swachh Bharat Abhiyaan: The staff of Senapati Forest Division participated in the Swachh Bharat Abhiyaan on 02.10.2017 in Senapati.
Source: Senapati Calling, 2018